Friday, October 7, 2011

Dirt 'n Worm Cupcakes


Jesus - I dedicate this post to you! I know how much you like pudding :)

Here is another cute cupcake for you! I'm sure we can all reminisce on a favorite childhood dessert: dirt and worms. This traditional dessert is made with chocolate pudding with a layer of crushed chocolate cookies (I used Oreos) and a gummy worm. The result? A worm playing in the dirt! Sounds disgusting but luckily it tastes nowhere close to dirt (not that I would know).

Now, we all know how much I love cupcakes so I pondered how I can turn this childhood memory into a cupcake. Originally, I thought of making standard yellow cupcakes, topped with chocolate frosting, crushed chocolate cookies, and a gummy worm. While this cupcake would still do its name justice, the cupcake was missing a crucial element...the pudding! Then it hit me faster than a ball out a ballpark, I should add a pudding filling to the cupcakes! Something like this:


Yep, the cupcakes tasted just as good or better than the pictures. Learn how to make these cupcakes! 


Dirt and Worm Cupcakes
compliments of me

Ingredients
12 cupcakes (any recipe)
1 can of chocolate frosting
1 package of Oreo chocolate cookies
12 gummy worms
1 box of pudding (make ahead of time by following directions on box)

Directions
1. Take a cooled cupcake and a pairing knife and insert the knife approximately 3/4 way down into the cupcake and 1/2 cm from the edge of the cupcake on an angle to cut around the whole circumference.
2. Lift the top you carved out and it should look like an ice cream cone and you should be left with a hole in the middle of the cupcake - save the top. Scoop 1-2 teaspoon of pudding (depending on how much fits in the hole you created). Take the top and place it back on the cupcake to cover the pudding. You may have to cut some of the excess cake to make the top fit properly. For me, the excess cupcake scraps go straight into my belly!
3. Frost the cupcake like any cupcake. Crush 10 Oreos or chocolate cookies to start off (you can always crush more if you need to) and cover the cupcake with the crushed cookies and top with a gummy worm.

Note: cupcakes may have to be stored in the refrigerator if pudding assembly required milk.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...