Sunday, January 2, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle

 

I will be the first one to tell you that I am an avid peanut butter fan. I eat peanut butter practically everyday. I think I mentioned that I eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich everyday for breakfast. This past summer, I went on an European cruise and the selection for breakfast is enormous. It had everything I wanted, English muffins, banana, plain yogurt...everything but peanut butter. I thought it was absolutely crazy and then I forgot that I was on an EUROPEAN cruise so what do they have instead? Jam, butter, and Nutella! I went a week without peanut butter, it was hard but I survived. 

Anyways, as much as I like peanut butter, I am not a fan of peanut butter cookies. There's something about the balance of sugar and peanut butter that makes the cookie unappealing to me. On top of that, whenever you go somewhere and there is a selection of cookie, the peanut butter cookies are always the one left behind. I have been on a baking craze since I have been home so when I thought of the idea to make cookies for a friend, I remembered he likes peanut butter cookies. I whipped out my Better Homes and Garden cookbook and found a peanut butter cookie recipe. To my surprise, the cookies turned out well and I would not mind eating these cookies. Granted, I would not pick this cookie over a chocolate chip cookie but it was one of the better peanut butter cookies I have had. There's a first time for everything and surprisingly, I don't think it's going to be my last time making these cookies. 

Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle
compliments of Better Homes and Garden Cookbook

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or 1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions 
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. 
2. Beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl. 
3. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle. 
4. Shape dough into one inch balls. Roll in additional granulated sugar if desired. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten by making crisscross marks with the tines of a fork.
5. Bake 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool.

Yield: 3 dozen


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...