Sunday, March 4, 2012

S'mores Cookie Bar



I think it is safe to say that a childhood and adulthood favorite for most people are s'mores. Even though I didn't have my first s'more until I was nine (yes, I kept track), this snack always sounded delicious. While I love eating s'mores, I like it better when someone makes it for me because I just do not have the patience to wait for the marshmallows to roast. Needless to say, I am no marshmallow roasting connoisseur so s'mores bars is a great option for me when I have a craving for s'mores. How did I stumble upon this idea? 

Lately, I've been slightly obsessed with Pinterest. The great thing about Pinterest is that I discover things  I would have never discovered on my own. I can conveniently keep track and reflect on the things I find. It is because of Pinterest that I found this awesome recipe. I have consistently come across recipes for s'mores cupcakes and cookie bars which was only a sign for me to do one thing...

Since I always make cupcakes (I'm sure you've noticed), I opted for the cookie bar this time. What a great choice for my Sunday fun day project! I was surprised by how much this recipe tasted like s'mores. I might never make s'mores again, unless it's these s'mores bars. I made the bars about six hours ago and not much remains...oops. At least I know the recipe was a success! Thanks Pinterest!

S’More Cookie Bars
compliments of Baking Bites

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs*
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (e.g. Hershey’s) (milk chocolate chips work as well)
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not melted marshmallows)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well incorporated and light in color. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. Place chocolate bars over dough. Two king-sized Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick.
5. Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff.
6. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars

Yield: 16 cookie bars.

*Note: 3/4 cup crumbs is approx 7 full-sized graham cracker sheets, whizzed in the food processor until fine.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...