Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Good Ole Cupcake!


I am going to be completely honest, I love boxed cake. I think it is delicious and very convenient but as much as I like it, there is a part of me that gets the satisfaction of making it from scratch. Usually when I make cupcakes, I want them to look cute which is why I often use boxed cake mix. I was contemplating what to make last night when my brother told me he wanted simple yellow cupcakes. I thought "how boring" but sometimes the simplest things are the most satisfying. So, I whipped out my Better Homes and Garden cookbook and found the recipe for yellow cake. Instead of making the cake, I put the cake batter in muffin tins and voila, cupcakes!

I decorated the cupcakes very simply, chocolate fudge frosting and my favorite kind of sprinkles! I even scooped out some batter, mixed in cocoa powder and make marble cupcakes too for some variation. They were indeed satisfying, just how simple things can be!



Basic Yellow Cupcakes
compliments of Better Homes and Garden Cookbook

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter
3 large eggs
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/4 cups milk

Directions
1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line 24 muffin tins.
2. In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F. In a mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating well until combined. Beat 2 minutes more. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Place ~1/4 c. batter in each muffin tin.
4. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Also, insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it is done! Cool for 5 minutes in tins before removing. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting and decorating.

Yield: 24 cupcakes

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...