Thursday, December 30, 2010

Waffles


Growing up, I always made waffles from the box. I'd like to think at the time, my palette was not refined enough to know any better. I'd make waffles on the weekend all the time for my family and my mom  always complain about how she did not like the Bisquick mix but I had no problem with it. As time went by, I learned that my mom was right, aren't they always. Since then, I made a few waffles from scratch but nothing that satisfied my waffle hunger. I finally found a recipe worth blogging about. I did not realize until I made the waffles that there was no milk but I had buttermilk and almond milk. So...I used mainly buttermilk and a little of the almond milk but the buttermilk was too overpowering. Next time I will add half buttermilk and half milk. I just have to make sure I have milk at home! Other than the lingering aftertaste of tangy buttermilk, everything else was great! The texture and flavor was exactly what I was looking for in a waffle.

I did not realize how much of a difference whipping the egg whites does to the waffle. It makes a significant difference. It's a little time consuming but worth every minute. It is essential to fluffy waffles (in addition to the buttermilk). This is important step and this will make good waffles be great waffles.

Waffles
adapted from the Better Homes and Garden Cook Book

Ingredients
1-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup milk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil

Directions
1. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat egg yolks, milk, buttermilk, and oil until combined.
3. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. While egg whites are beating, add milk mixture to dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
4. Once egg white form stiff peaks, gently fold whites into mixture. Fold until just incorporated. Once again, it's important not to overmix.
5. Add batter to waffle iron and follow iron instructions to cook waffles.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...