Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pecan Shortbread Square Bars


Wow, welcome back to my blog. I have been on quite a hiatus on this blog but it does not mean that I have not been baking...okay, kinda. I had gotten to a point where I baked a great deal and I knew what I liked. When it came to baking, I knew what I liked and developed a list of go-to recipes.

As of late, I have been regaining a baking itch of exploring and trying new recipes. My inspiration to try this recipe came from a charge to create a dessert that did not include chocolate. Additionally, I recently visited Rock Springs Cafe in Phoenix, AZ who are notorious from their pies. I am not a huge fan of pie so I questioned how good this pie could actually be. Well, I was taught how great pie should taste. My favorite type of pie has always been pecan pie and Rock Springs made a fine pecan pie.

As I was searching for pecan bar recipes, I was looking for a high pecan ratio. In filtered recipes by the pictures (we know we all do it). I came across the recipe from Once Upon a Chef and I immediately committed to trying this recipe...it was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I rarely find recipes that do not use Karo syrup and it was just divine...the crust and the filling! If you have never been a believer in pecan bars, this is a MUST!

Pecan Shortbread Square Bars
compliments of Once Upon a Chef

Ingredients
Crust:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold salted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces

Filling:
12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) salted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
3 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Directions:
Crust:
1. Cover a 9-inch square baking pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. Push foil neatly into corners and up sides of the pan, using two pieces if necessary to ensure it overlaps all edges. Spray foiled pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the flour, corn starch, confectioners sugar, and salt in a bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-size clumps of butter within. Dump mixture into prepared pan and press firmly with your fingers into an even layer over the bottom.
3. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. While the crust in the refrigerator, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the crust until crust is set but not browned, about 17 minutes. Set on rack to cool. Leave oven on.

Filling:
1. In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and boil gently for 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and chopped pecans.
2. Pour pecan mixture over crust and spread evenly. Bake until filling is bubbling and caramel in color, about 20 minutes. Cool completely on rack. To cut, remove from pan and place on cutting board. Cut squares in 20-inch squares. Store in airtight container and serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Josie left a note for me to take a look on your blog, she said you also have Instagram, what it your name? Rianna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...