Monday, May 7, 2012

Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread


I've been having an urge to make something with apple. I was struggling on what to make because I wanted to use apples but not in its typical way through a pie, streusel, etc. That's when I saw the ripe bananas chilling on my counter and thought to myself, why don't I add some apple to my banana bread recipe? I also incorporated cinnamon to compliment the apples and bananas. This is a great banana bread variation, especially since I just made banana bread last week. The apples makes the bread super moist and adds nice textural element. Another great textural element are the walnuts which is slightly crunchier than the apple pieces throughout the bread.The cinnamon gives another depth of flavor throughout the bread. It's like eating apple pie and banana bread together. I don't mind that at all!

One note, because there are apples and bananas in this recipe, it won't keep long on the kitchen counter. I portion my loaf into serving sizes and freeze it. This way, I can pull out some bread for an out the door breakfast or midday snack. The bread last longer and you won't have discard your hard work when it's not edible anymore!




Apple Cinnamon Banana Bread
adapted from Sunset Breads Cookbook

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
1 medium apple, peeled and diced (any variety will do)
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (325 F for glass pan).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar, and walnuts.
3. In a separate bowl, mash bananas. Combine milk, eggs, and butter until well combined. Gradually add flour mixture, in 3 batches, until ingredients are just blended. Fold apples into batter until just incorporated.
4. Pour batter in 4-1/2 in x 8-1/2 in loaf pan.
5. Bake approximately 1 hour or until bread begins to pull away from side and toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...