Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Y-U-M-Blurb: Over Easy's Malted Waffle

I am a Food Network fanatic. My tv is normally on one of three channel and the Food Network is definitely one of them. Not only is it fun to watch others cook and learn about food, it is equally fun to watch the network integrate and market different individuals and how some are more popular than others. One individual that immediately caught my attention was Guy Fieri from the Next Food Network Star. I loved him every since the first episode. I also love his shows, in particular, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. You might watch an episode or two and wonder why would anyone watch a show of Guy eating but the show is so much more than that. It is great to see how local businesses are doing what they do best: cook authentic, unique, quality dishes. Also, it i is interesting to see the various creations people come up with in their restaurants. I swear I am becoming a big proponent of supporting local businesses more and more everyday.

Anyways, on triple D, Guy travels all around the country to hit up the most popular eating joints to try their specialties. In AZ, Guy has visited ten places. While I've been to a few, Sunday was another triple D adventure. Check out Guy's visit first!



Over Easy is a small little joint than I expected. My friend and I decided to meet at 8:45am so we can beat the 9am breakfast crowd. To my surprise, there was a 20 minute wait when we got there. Granted it was Sunday morning and this place was on the Food Network, so I guess the wait was expected. However, this have meant the food is good! Right? The segment on triple D showed caramelized banana pecan french toast (using brioche)and while it looked delectable, I am not a big french toast fan (like I mentioned in my french toast post). My diet is also limited to soft food so the country fried steak was not an option. As I searched the menu, I came across the malted waffle which intrigued me because I am a huge malt fan. It was also something different from your typical breakfast join and since it has been awhile since I had a good waffle,  why the heck not. I also got a side of sweet potato tots so I was excited!

My malted waffle and sweet potato tater tots

When my waffle arrived to the table, I was underwhelmed. It didn't look cute or fancy so I was a little questionable but still optimistic. I dived right into the tots and to my disappointment, it was room temperature/cold. There was nothing spectacular about the tots and I only ate them all because I am beginning to have a slight obsession with sweet potato. I moved on to the waffle which was not hot/warm either! Hmph, what is going on? It felt like they finished my breakfast ten minutes prior to giving it to me. On the bright side, the waffle was good and had a nice flavor - slightly buttery and eggy but not too eggy. We all know how I don't do the whole thing very well. Also, the texture was nice - it was substantive but not too dense or heavy. It was a good waffle and I hadn't had one of those in a long time. The only downfall about the waffle was the fact that I didn't taste any malt whatsoever. Maybe the malt created a good flavor in the waffle but wasn’t meant to be overpowering? I don’t know but it was not what I was expecting to say the least. 

My friend got the caramelized banana pecan french toast and I tried some of the caramel sauce. I was pretty neutral about the sauce. It had a strong banana flavor and it tasted like banana extract was added with real bananas because I tasted a hint of that artificial banana flavor. The only reason why I say that is because I greatly dislike artificial banana flavor and I kind of tasted it in the sauce. The caramel was a little too runny for my taste and wished it had more of a caramel consistency. For a specialty featured on the show, I expected better.

Overall, I didn't think it meet expectations of all the hype it got. It was a cute atmosphere because it was such a small place but I honestly expected better. The service was mediocre. I understand it's a busy Sunday morning but customer service didn't really seem something they cared too much about. Also, maybe I didn't order the right thing but I highly doubt if I ordered something else it would have been any better. I would be willing to give it another chance but not on my own accord. 

*Overall Rating: Y-U-M

*Ranking for Y-U-M-Blurbs are based on the Y-U-M-M-Y scale (just Y being the lowest, Y-U-M-M-Y being the highest).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...