Sunday, March 6, 2011

French Toast

I love food! Despite this understatement, there is one food staple that I absolutely cannot stand...eggs! I know, it may seem impossible considering baking involves using lots of eggs but I greatly detest the test, smell, and texture of eggs. Eggs are the one food item that shivers down my spine when I was little and the feeling just persisted as I grew older. Off that tangent, I made french toast today for the first time (*round of applause*)! I never made french toast because I do not like eggs and it never really appealed to me but I had an urge to make it.

Now, I'm no french toast expert but I have learned/observed a few things from the Food Network, my mom, and recipe researching. I'll share some of those things with you!

Tips for good french toast:
1. Using day old bread is important because it soaks up the egg mixture.
2. French toast shouldn't be soppy. This is easy to do if you opt using regular white sliced bread.
3. Building a custard is the key to good french toast.
4. French toast should taste eggy with a hint of sweetness, not the other way around.
5. French toast is to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

The recipe I used for this post was an experiment but I think it turned out well. In my opinion, this is a healthier version of typical french toast because there is nothing overpowering in the recipe but it achieves all the tastes in french toast. Having said that, let's make some french toast!

French Toast
adapted from Better Homes and Garden Cook Book

Ingredients
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons half and half or evaporated milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
slices of bread (regular white/wheat sliced bread or 4 brioche/challah slices
2 tablespoons butter
maple syrup for topping (optional)

Notes: 
1. This recipe makes 8 slices of regular white/wheat bread and 4 slices of a thicker bread like brioche/challah.
2. This recipe is not as sweet as other french toast recipes. The amounts of sugar/vanilla/cinnamon can all be altered for more sweetness. It is recommended to double each of these components for sweeter french toast.  
3. You may substitute regular milk (i.e. skim, 2%) instead of the half and half/evaporated milk. After all, it makes for healthier french toast!

Directions
1. Beat eggs. Add milk sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
2. Heat a skillet/pan over medium heat.
3. If using regular sliced bread, dip bread in egg mixture on both sides, just enough to be moist. Do not soak bread in egg mixture. However, if using challah/brioche/thicker sliced wheat bread, thoroughly cover/soak bread with egg mixture. Transfer egg mixture covered bread to pan. Cook for 2-3 on each side or until your desired brown-ness.
4. Top with maple syrup if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...