Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Matcha (Green Tea) Cupcakes


A few months ago, I was engaging in my usual blog browsing and came across many recipes using matcha powder. The recipes intrigued me but the only problem was I didn't have any matcha powder. Since I frequent Asian supermarkets, I didn't think it was a big deal to grab some matcha powder the next time I went. Little did I know I would run into a problem...I couldn't read the labels. Many of the labels were in Japanese and the ones I could read, did not specify "powder" on the container. I got really confused and left the market sans matcha powder. Finally on vacation in L.A. last December, I stopped by a Japanese market and was able to get some help in finding matcha. When I brought my matcha back home, I tucked it away in my pantry and haven't taken it out...until now!

Matcha powder is essentially green tea but in a fine powder form. This is great for making things "green tea" flavored such as in ice cream, mochi, cakes, cookies, etc. Or...you can use it for its intended purpose to make green tea. Either way, if you are a green tea lover (which I have grown to be in the last month), grab some matcha powder the next time you go to an Asian supermarket. There are so many things you can use flavor it with.

Earlier this year, I made Orange Cupcakes, and it was the first time I successfully made cupcakes with an airy-ness to it. I decided to adapt the recipe to be matcha-y instead of orange-y. Was I successful in making these cupcakes airy?



I was pleasantly surprised to see perfectly risen matcha cupcakes when I opened the oven door. The vibrant green color caught my eye and I couldn't not wait to get my fingers on one of the cupcakes. After patiently waiting for the cupcakes to cool, which for me was five minutes, I bit into a moist and airy cupcake. The matcha flavor was present but not overwhelming and I scarfed down the cupcake in all of two seconds...with no frosting.

Speaking of frosting, I love cream cheese frosting. I don't know if it necessary matches the best with the cupcakes but I loved it anyways. I didn't add matcha powder to the frosting but I am curious to try it. I think it will enhance the matcha flavor in the cupcake. I really liked the cupcakes that I could eat them without any frosting but I know the frosting gives it a little extra something. I'm sure you know what I mean!


Matcha (Green Tea) Cupcakes
adapted from cupcakerecipes.com & Y-U-M-M-Y

Ingredients
1-3/4 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
2 large eggs, separated and room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 teaspoons matcha powder (use 4 tsp if you want a stronger matcha taste)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened


Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 tsp milk
5-1/2-6 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp matcha (optional, incorporate to make matcha cream cheese frosting)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, matcha powder, and salt.
4. Alternately add flour (1/3 at a time) and milk to the butter mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture.
5. Beat egg whites until medium peaks form.
6. Fold egg whites to cupcake mixture. Do not overmix.
6. Fill cupcake tins 1/2-2/3 full with batter.
8. Bake for 15 minute or when a toothpick comes out clean.

To make frosting
1. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk, and matcha (optional) on medium speed until light and fluffy
2. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency

NOTE: the frosting should be enough for ~24 cupcakes so you can half the recipe for 12 cupcakes but a little extra frosting never hurts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Matcha Recipe! Looks yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...