Sunday, July 31, 2011

Yelatin...do you mean gelatin?


Is that a typo? Do I mean gelatin? Nope.

Yelatin is a combination of jello (which contains gelatin) and yogurt. Ergo, yelatin! I came across a new blog last night, GreenLiteBites. It is an addictive blog for someone like me with a crazy healthy eating obsession. I am eager to try many recipes but one of the simplest and most attractive recipes to me was yelatin. Like I said earlier, it is essentially jello with the addition of yogurt. The yogurt gives an complexity to jello by incorporating a creaminess to the jello. After I found this recipe, I ran to my pantry to grab some yogurt and whipped up a batch immediately. I had to wait for it to setup but it was worth the wait.

The end product is a satisfying dessert or snack. I added extra gelatin to give the yelatin a firmer texture (I prefer firmer gelatin products). This is a dessert without the guilt. I made four servings from a box of jello, each coming out to be a measly 60 calories. I must say that's not too bad for a dessert. If you want to reduce the calories to 35-50, use sugar-free jello. I prefer full-sugar jello but if you have dietary restrictions or do not mind the taste of sugarless jello, you can save a few calories. The only thing missing was a dollop of whip cream on the top! It's not necessary but it would have made the dessert a little more elegant and tastier.

Raspberry yelatin!


Yelatin
compliments of GreenLiteBites

Ingredients 
1 package of jello (anywhere from 1.4oz-3oz)
packet of gelatin (optional)
Boiling water (follow directions according to package - it's typically around 1 c. water)
1 cup non-fat yogurt

Directions
1. Combine jello, gelatin (optional) and boiling water. Stir in yogurt.
2. Distribute evenly amongst 4 bowls/dishes.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...