Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Red Velvet Brownies


I’ve been dying to make this recipe for a while. It is hard to resist when I see recipe pop up on Pinterest a bazillion times and each time I see it, it looks better than the last. Also, how could I pass up the opportunity to make and consume a baked red velvet treat with cream cheese? You see what I mean?

Anyways, I learned a very important lesson while making these brownies. It’s a lesson I already know but like I said earlier, this recipe is simply irresistible! It is important to let the brownies cool before eating. Not only do you prevent burning of the fingers and tongue, you get the brownie taste and texture when it has cooled. While I didn’t burn myself as I cut a piece, I was disappointed with the end product. The brownies tasted like cake and it didn’t have the dense and slightly chewy texture that brownies are notorious for. However, the next day when the brownies were cooled, they had the perfect brownie texture and taste. This made me one happy gal. Okay, okay, I know. I need to learn to be patient.

My original intention was to make these brownies for a work function but I thought it was better suited for my own consumption…oops!


Red Velvet Brownies
compliments of Doughmesstic

Ingredients
10 Tablespoons butter
3 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Red Food Coloring
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I use non-akaline)

For the Cheesecake Layer
8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper long enough to hang over on two sides, making it easier to remove from pan once baked. Spray pan and paper.
2. In small saucepot over medium heat, or in the microwave, melt chocolate and butter until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and red food coloring with the sugar. Slowly add in chocolate mixture until well combined.
4. In small bowl, sift together cocoa, salt and flour. Add mixture to rest of batter. Do not overmix.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
5. (for the cheesecake layer) Beat ingredients together until smooth. Pour over brownie batter. Use sharp knife to swirl together.
6. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until just set and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...