Sunday, January 10, 2010

Guacamole

I have recently became a fan of avocado. I have never liked it ever since I first tried it back in high school when I was on my first cruise. I remember my dad saying that it was really healthy for me and I should try it. So I did and I almost spit it back up because it tasted like eating butter. Even though it was healthy, I couldn't force myself to eat being the health freak that I am. That was until I went camping a few month ago and everyone was eating gucamole. I snacked on the plain chips while I watched everyone swarm over the gucamole. I wasn't sure it was because everyone liked gucamole a lot or because we were camping and we only had so much to eat. Either way, once everyone got their fair share, I thought I would give it another try. Yes, I wanted to conform and be like everyone else! Luckily I did because I thought it was delicious.

One thing that appealed to me when I came across this recipe was the word chunky. I like my gucamole chunky where I can distinguish the textures of the ingredients rather than having a smooth paste. When you try this recipe, smash the gucamole to the your desired consistency. This goes great with tortilla chips, low sodium of course, but I think guacamole can really boost the flavor of a lot of dishes. I don't like salad dressing and I know this may sound weird but I added some guacamole to my salad the other day and it was great! It added more flavor to my salad and it is more healthier than salad dressing!


Chunky Guacamole
compliments of Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book

Ingredients
2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 of a small red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely mashed
tortilla chips

Directions
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients except the avocado. Gently stir in avocados. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent browning. Chill for one hour. Serve with tortilla chips.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...