Sunday, January 3, 2010

Almond Crescents

Almond crescents look similar to let's say a Mexican wedding cookies or the Hershey Kiss Snowballs that I made a post about a few weeks back but there is a distinct difference between these cookies. These cookies are not as rich in the butter flavor but there is still a butter flavor present. That with the combination of the toasted almonds makes these cookies melt in your mouth but still has substantial texture to it. Toasting the almonds really bring out the their flavor so don't skip out on that step. These are a favorite at my house. My mom would make them when I was little and I seriously ate five at one time, well when no one was looking of course. I distinctly remember closing my eyes every time I took a bite to savor the flavor as long as I could. Now that I am older, I am much better at controlling my portions and can limit myself to one but it's very hard!


Almond Crescents
compliments of Sunset Cook Book

Ingredients
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 or 2 cups powdered sugar

Directions
1. Spread almonds in a shallow pan and toast in 350 F oven for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
2. In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add egg yolk and the 2 tbsp powdered sugar, mixing well. Stir in vanilla and almonds.
3. In another bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly.
4. Pinch off dough in one inch balls and roll each into a 3-inch rope. Place ropes about two inches part on ungreased baking sheets and shape into a crescent.
5. Bake 325 F for 30 minutes or until very lightly browned. Place baking sheets on racks and let cool for 5 minutes.
6. Sift about half the powdered sugar over wax paper. Transfer cookies to paper, placing them in a single layer. Sift remaining sugar over cookies to cover. Let stand until cool. Store in airtight container.

Yield: 2-1/2 dozens


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...