Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bran Muffins



I had some leftover pumpkin in the fridge this past week and debated what to do with it. I had that amount of pumpkin that's not enough for pumpkin bread but enough for a recipe that could replace oil/butter with pumpkin! Ultimately, I chose to jazz my up my Healthy Blueberry Muffin recipe by replacing applesauce and blueberries with pumpkin and chocolate chips. It turned out to be such a great variation to my typically blueberry and applesauce combination. I highly recommend using mini chocolate chocolate chips because the chips disperse all throughout the muffin, ensuring sweet deliciousness in every bite!

The idea to change this recipe was inspired by my dad, whom I've made my Healthy Blueberry Muffins for. He liked them but wished for chocolate chips instead of blueberries. My dad makes me laugh because he is very health conscious (if anyone can eat in moderation, it's him). However, he has such a weakness for chocolate and always say I could add a little more chocolate to my recipes. I can guarantee he will like these, especially with the addition of the mini chocolate morsels. Father's Day is on Sunday, isn't it? Breakfast for daddy: done.


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bran Muffins
adapted from AllRecipes

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Line muffin tins with cupcake holders or grease with cooking spray
2.  Combine wheat bran and milk in a bowl. Let mixture sit for ten minutes.
3. Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (optional) in a medium bowl.
4. In another bowl, mix pumpkin puree, egg, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. 
5. Add bran mixture to to pumpkin mixture until combined. Add flour mixture, in 1/3 increments, until just combined.
6. Stir in chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
7. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top springs back and toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...