Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Cake

I can't believe I have not posted a cake blog yet granted I only have a handful of posts but it always seem like I am making cupcakes or muffins. Throughout my blog browsing, I have seen numerous recipes for coffee or crumb cakes but never got around to making one. So what enticed me to finally try one? Well, my sister just started working and wanted something that she could grab for breakfast and run out the door. She is a huge fan of blueberry muffins and instead of making her a plain ole boring muffin, I opted to for something a little different.

I was very impressed on how the crumb cake turned out. It reminded me of a yummy accompaniment to a morning cup of joe, tea, or hot chocolate that you could get at a coffee shop. The cake was surprisingly light and tasty and the crumble on top was divine with its delectable brown sugar taste. Needless to say, I added this cake to my recipe binder!



Blueberry Crumb Cake
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker 


Ingredients

Crumb topping
5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnut

Cake
1 pint (2 cups) fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups + 3 teaspoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon cinnamon
1/8
teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cups sugar
3/4 stick (6 tablespoon) butter, rm temp
2 large eggs
1
teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Toss blueberries in 3 tsp of flour
3. Mix all the ingredients for the crumb together with your hands. Make sure all ingredients are well blended and clumps of butter remain throughout the mixture, then refrigerate.
4. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl; set aside
5. Beat butter and sugar with paddle attachment until light, ~3 min
6. Add eggs, mixing well after each addition. Then mix in vanilla extract.
7. Add the flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk. Make sure to start and end with the flour mixture. Stir in blueberries by hand.
8. Pour cake into an 8x8 pan. Take crumb mixture out of the refrigerate and sprinkle mixture on top of cake mixture, making sure to cover as much of the cake as possible.
9. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...