Saturday, January 21, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins



I know I just posted Healthy Blueberry Muffins but I have another recipe to share! While those muffins are great, I understand sometimes we all just want a muffin that does not "taste" or look healthy. Here is a version that is fairly healthy but does not look or taste like a "healthy" muffin. This recipe uses buttermilk and oil to keep the muffins moist. To make it healthier, I substituted half of the amount of oil with applesauce so the muffin does not lose any moisture. For another kick of flavor, I added orange zest. This made the muffins brighter in flavor and gives the blueberry muffin a minor makeover. Feel free to leave the zest out but I would give it a try first. If you want the fuller fat version of this muffin, use 1/2 cup of vegetable oil as opposed to 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup applesauce. That's the great thing about baking, I can make anything the way I want it to be. What's great about recipes, especially muffin recipes, are their versatility. Depending on what kind of blueberry muffin I want, I can make it!


Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins
adapted from Joy of Baking

Ingredients
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of lemon or orange zest (optional)
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions
1. Preheat oven 375 F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
3. Combine egg, buttermilk, applesauce, and vegetable oil into a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Mix to combine but do not fully combine. It's okay to leave some flour, add blueberries at this point and fold into batter until just combined. Do not overmix because this will create tough muffins.
5. Bake in the middle position rack for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...