adapted from Joy of Baking
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of lemon or orange zest (optional)
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven 375 F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
3. Combine egg, buttermilk, applesauce, and vegetable oil into a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Mix to combine but do not fully combine. It's okay to leave some flour, add blueberries at this point and fold into batter until just combined. Do not overmix because this will create tough muffins.
5. Bake in the middle position rack for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.