Sunday, January 15, 2012

Good Ole Classic Apple Pie


For those of you who frequent my blog, I know what you're thinking. Is this post about pie? You made a pie? The answer is yes! Being in 2012, I thought it was only appropriate to expand my horizons and to make things I've always thought about making but end up making excuses instead. I've never been a huge fan of pie, let alone apple pie because often times the filling is congealed, too sweet, and consist of too many spices. That's the beauty of baking, I can make apple pie the way I like it!

Many people stray away from pies and pastries because of the pastry crust. It is definitely something not to be intimidated by. Pastry crust is simple to make; however, I used pre-made crust for this recipe. The reasoning is because I had never bought pre-made crust before and I wanted to try it. I love it because it is super easy to use. For those of you that haven't used it before, simply roll out the dough and it is ready to use. So if you want to make pie but is scared to make your own crust, opt for a store bought crust.

A good apple pie depends on the apples. For me, I like tart apples because apple pies tend to be very sweet in general so using a tart apple cuts down on the sweetness. For this recipe, I used granny smith apples which is probably the most tart apple you can get at the store. Also, I used lemon juice, which gave a brightness and extra tang in the pie. So while I wouldn't call this a traditional apple pie, it has all the flavors of one. It just has a little extra zing to it!


Apple Pie
compliments of Better Homes and Garden Cook Book

Ingredients
4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (I used granny smith)
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of cloves (optional)


Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Combine granulated sugar, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add to apples and toss until apples are coated. Set apple mixture aside.
2. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 ball of dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
3. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry even with pie plate. For top crust, roll out remaining dough. Cut slits in top crust. Place top crust on the filling. Seal and flute the edge. Brush with milk, if desired.
4. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cheddar cheese, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...